29/10/2013

US half tracks

Having escaped from the South West just before the storm hit, I returned home to complete this trio of M3 half tracks by Plastic Soldier. Although nicely detailed and easy to assemble I'm not sure if I'll buy any more for my US forces. The biggest issue is that they are markedly larger then the Airfix and Italeri models I already have in my collection.

It's nice to have crew provided but these are also on the large side and don't fit all that well if you want a packed vehicle. I didn't bother with the rear stowage as it just makes an oversized vehicle even bigger and also replace the tarpaulins with one made of green stuff after I realised how poorly the provided ones was modelled.

For those interested here's a comparison with the Airfix model

8 comments:

João Pedro Peixoto said...

Very nice group. By placing bases with the same size you will avoid the trouble of difference between brands.

Stryker said...

Actually the size difference isn't that noticeable in your photo but I know how annoying such things can be!

Monty said...

There may be a (slight) size difference, but you can certainly see the gulf in quality of product! ;)

Monty said...

There may be a (slight) size difference, but you can certainly see the gulf in quality of product! ;)

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Nice model though, but if anything the Airfix looks bigger??

Andy Canham said...

Glad you survived the storm. They look really good. I like the green stuff tarps. Is it a height difference, as they do look very similar in the photo?

Red_Cardinal said...

The Plastic Solider model is (I think) supposed to be 1/72 whilst the Airfix is (again, supposedly) 1/76. This would explain the size difference.

I'm not sure which of the two makes I prefer. The Plastic Soldier has more detail than the Airfix but it is a bit crudely done (compare the two machine guns).

Red_Cardinal said...

Oops, I forgot to say, if you want a real comparison in quality, Google the Academy 1/72 halftrack :)